Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Virgin Queen




Rating: ☆☆☆☆

Title: The Life of Elizabeth I

Author: Alison Weir

Genre: Biography / History

Read: 26th June 2005





Comments: A lively and readable introduction to Tudor History. Ms. Weir makes Elizabeth come alive on every page and it becomes obvious why even now, more than 400 years after her death, people are so fascinated by her. The prose is engaging and avoids the trap of becoming overly scholarly and plodding as some historical biographies are wont to do. Reading this left me wanting to know more, and I highly recommend Ms. Weir's other books on the Tudor family, especially 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII'.

Quote: "I am already married to an husband and that is the kingdom of England."

  • The Life of Elizabeth I
  • see also
  • The Six Wives of Henry VIII
  • Elizabeth and Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home