Monday, June 12, 2006

Eeeeeewww! (But I mean that in a good way.)




Rating: ☆☆☆☆

Title: Eating Mammals: Three Novellas

Author: John Barlow

Genre: Fiction / Miscellaneous

Read: 18th June 2005





Comments: The three novellas of this book's title are: the title story 'Eating Mammals' which is about a professional eater called Captain Gusto, (kind of like Kobayashi Takeru {see link below} only he'll literally eat anything), 'The Possession of Thomas Bessie: a Victorian Melodrama' about a strange cat, born with a pair of small wings (don't worry, it's not in the least cutesy or cat-fancieresque), and finally 'The Donkey Wedding at Gomersal, recounted by an inhabitant of that place' about a rather odd wedding (I'll let you guess what exactly was odd about it).

They're all good solid stories, engagingly written, but the title story takes the cake, so to speak. I don't want to spoil it, but one of the last scenes is so perfectly, viscerally, stomach-churningly written that I literally felt sick reading it. Anyone can write a gross-out scene, but this is different, it was kind of a gross-out elevated to the level of art, if you can follow me.

I recommend this book to all comers (provided they have a strong stomach) and I invite you to check out the author's first full-length novel (link below) which was delivered to my door yesterday and is next on my list.

Quote: "There will always be one place, dirty, and perhaps forgotten to all but its inhabitants, deep in a dark corner of a dark country, where the name of Captain Gusto will be rememberd."

  • eating mammals
  • see also
  • Kobayashi Takeru
  • Intoxicated: A Novel of Money, Madness, and the Invention of the World's Favorite Soft Drink
  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger Becki said...

    That would be no. 1. Specifically pigs, cows, and... but I don't want to ruin the surprise though, do I?

    1:18 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home