Friday, June 30, 2006

ゲド戦記 (Tales from Earthsea)

Wonderful news for lovers of Anime and fantasy alike! Miyazaki Gorou, son of the brilliant Miyazaki Hayao of Studio Ghibli fame, has just completed an animated movie version of Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea series. It opens in Japan on the 29th of July and I am so there.

All of the Studio Ghibli movies I've seen so far are amazing, My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ), Kiki's Delivery Service (魔女の宅急便), Princess Mononoke (もののけ姫), Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠し) the list just goes on and on. And, although I've yet to see it everyone says Howl's Moving Castle (ハウルの動く城) was great as well. If Studio Ghibli can make a charming moving out of a basically unreadable book like Howl just imagine what they'll do with one of the fantasy classics of all time. I am so psyched!

I bought myself a new copy of The Earthsea Quartet to refresh my memory before I see the movie, because my original set is in tatters by now. I still need to get The Other Wind and Tales from Earthsea though. Maybe I'll pick 'em up while I'm in the States.

  • the official Studio Ghibli website
  • see also
  • a video of the theme song with some clips from the movie
  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger kumagoro said...

    Guess I'll have to borrow Earthsea from you before I watch the film. You know, just so I can shake my head in disgust at how much better the book was when I see the film /joking

    9:48 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home